Disney announced on Thursday at least 35 new titles from Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios, Disney Animation and Pixar Animation will be coming to the streaming service starting in 2021. During the Disney Investor Day presentation, Kareem Daniel announced 10 “Star Wars” series, 10 Marvel series, and 15 Disney and Pixar Animation series will be coming to Disney Plus. Now there are no specific time frames for any of the projects, but further specifics will be announced by executive chairman Bob Iger and other Disney executives later in the presentation.
One of the most aggressive moves of any streaming service out right now, was the announcement of 10 “Star Wars” series.
The new “Star Wars” series include
• “Andor,” a “Rogue One” prequel series focusing on Diego Luna’s Cassian Andor that’s currently in production and will debut on 2022.
• “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” starring Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen reprising their roles from the prequel movie trilogy, which will go into production in March 2021.
• “The Rangers of the New Republic” and “Ahsoka,” direct spin-offs of “The Mandalorian” from Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni.
• “Lando,” a new spin-off series from “Dear White People” creator Justin Simien following Lando Calrissian.
• “The Acolyte,” a female-centric series, billed as a “mystery-thriller” set in the final days of the High Republic era, from Leslye Headland (“Russian Doll”).
• “Star Wars: The Bad Batch,” the animated follow up to the animated series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.”
• “Star Wars: Visions,” an anthology collection of short films set in the “Star Wars” universe from 10 different Japanese animation creators, which will debut in 2021.
• “A Droid Story,” an animated series from Lucasfilm Animation and Lucasfilm’s visual effects team that sets R2-D2 and C-3PO on a new adventure.
Marvel Studios, who has already announced eight titles for Disney Plus, kicking off with WandaVision on January 15th 2021. Loki and The Falcon and Winter Soldier are set to debut sometime in the first half of 2021. The animated series “What If…?,” based on the awesome comic book series, as well as live-action series “Ms. Marvel,” “Hawkeye,” “Moon Knight,” “She-Hulk,” and an untitled series focusing on Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury are all in the works as well!
There is more info to come, and once we get all the info, you'll be the first to know! Be sure to check out some of our podcast episodes from Zero Dark Nerdy, including these below: